Executive Director Position Opportunity
As it looks ahead to its second decade, the Malone Schools Online Network seeks an Executive Director. MSON’s next leader will uphold the program’s excellence, maintain and develop relationships with member schools, deepen member engagement with the program, and explore opportunities for continued improvement and impact.
Executive Director Position Description
The Executive Director of the Malone Schools Online Network (MSON) reports to the MSON Steering Committee and is employed by Maret School. The Executive Director has overall strategic and operational responsibility for MSON’s staff, programs, development, and execution of its mission.
Founded in 2013, the Malone Schools Online Network (“MSON”) offers nearly 50 superior synchronous online courses to 28 participating Malone Schools across the United States, enhancing each member school’s existing curriculum. These seminar-style courses serve over 300 upper-level students (general juniors and seniors), making up nearly 500 semester enrollments. Course offerings, which are often interdisciplinary and take advantage of the program’s diversity of students, target the most talented high school students at member schools. MSON students demonstrate sufficient independence and commitment to succeed in a virtual discussion seminar setting. MSON teachers, who are experts in their fields, have experience with independent school education and share a commitment to excellence, small class sizes, and personal relationships.
Each MSON course meets synchronously in two, hour-long meetings a week, primarily during the normal school day in high-definition classroom setups. These meetings are paired with asynchronous instruction and activities outside of class time.
MSON is a consortium of schools, all of which have received funding from the Malone Family Foundation. MSON Steering Committee is comprised of eight Heads of School (including the Heads at Maret, Stanford Online High School and Hopkins School) and has oversight of the budget, business model, course offerings, and general policies for MSON. Doug Lagarde, Head of Severn School, is the Chair of the Steering Committee.
The Malone Schools Online Network (MSON) expands academic opportunities for motivated, upper-level students by connecting them with inspiring teachers and peers across the country in real-time online seminars. MSON courses provide challenge beyond the standard curriculum while nurturing students’ intellectual curiosity, building their independence and time management skills, and fostering relationships across geographical divides. Beyond its classes, MSON draws on its vibrant community to help teachers and school leaders collaborate and innovate in their schools, charting new territory in learning.
Leadership and Management:
● Ensures ongoing programmatic excellence, program evaluation, and consistent quality of all aspects of MSON; recommends timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic goals.
● Oversees the finances and budget for MSON, working with the Steering Committee and the Assistant Head of Finance at Maret.
● Composes, reviews, revises, and communicates MSON Norms & Procedures and other internal policies.
● Hires, manages, develops, and retains staff and volunteers as needed.
● Conducts periodic meetings with the MSON Community, including faculty, technical liaisons, and administrative liaisons, as appropriate. May convene MSON working groups from among stakeholders to investigate opportunities for growth, improvement, etc.
● Collaborates with MSON staff to oversee training and facilitate annual meetings with the MSON community.
● Acts as point person for MSON Academic Liaisons, including on disciplinary issues.
● May teach an MSON course as desired/needed.
Communications and Development:
● Develops and maintains effective relationships with Heads of School and MSON personnel at all member schools and other stakeholders, including Stanford Online High School, Hopkins School, and the Malone Family Foundation.
● Serves as a powerful external spokesperson for MSON, telling the MSON “story” and ensuring MSON’s public presence is accurate and appropriate.
● Responsible for outreach to other organizations and individuals such as other consortia, independent school associations, online learning leaders, etc.
● Acts as a key figure in the broader Malone School community.
● May work to secure financial support through development efforts.
Planning and Growth:
● Works with the Steering Committee to articulate the organization’s vision and mission, lead strategic thinking, and drive evolution of the network.
- Familiarity with—and experience in—independent schools, especially in teaching and/or teacher leadership.
- Experience with online learning.
- At least two years of effective administrative experience in the educational setting (e.g., department chair, dean, division head).
- An entrepreneurial and creative mindset.
This is a remote position requiring travel to member schools and conferences, as appropriate. The Executive Director is both an independent and collaborative worker. This is a full-time position and includes the regular benefit package available for all Maret faculty members.
Please send cover letter and resume to Doug Lagarde, Head of the MSON Steering Committee, via Angela Hysan ([email protected]), Assistant to the Head of School at Severn School.
University School of Nashville
Trinity Preparatory School
Fort Worth Country Day School
Stanford Online High School